WMV file format is a very famous file format among Windows users to play video files which can be easily played on Windows operating system using VLC media player. While when we put VLC media player together with WMV format and Mac operating system, then it fails to play videos using VLC media player on Mac OS (Sierra).
- Vlc Media Player For Mac Os Sierra
- Vlc Os X
- Vlc Pour Mac Os Sierra
- Vlc Per Mac Os Sierra
- Vlc Player Download Mac
- Vlc Media Player For Mac
- Because VLC is open source software.Download VLC Media Player 64-bit 3.0.10 for Windows. Fast downloads of the latest free software! Click now.VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files, and various streaming protocols. Sierra: Windows 8.1 (x64) Mac OS X 10.11 – El Capitan.
- If that’s appealing, you can learn how to rip discs to your Mac and convert video files on macOS in this article. Related: How to Play Blu-Ray discs on Windows 10. Enabling Blu-ray Playback in VLC. Once you have VLC 3.0 or greater installed, you’ll need to install the necessary keys. These cryptographic keys allow VLC to decrypt the Bluray.
- Name: macOS 10.13 High Sierra Type: Mac OS X Version: macOS 10.13 or 10.12 Memory size: 3GB to 6GB ( 65% of your Ram) Virtual disk file: macOS high Sierra 10.13.vmdk; And now, you have to select “Use an exsting virtual hard disk file” and Open “macOS high.
Sometimes, you may need VLC alternatives because of the annoying 'Rebuilding Font Cache' thing or others. This post lists different VLC alternatives for Windows/Mac. Choose the best VLC alternative 2019 depends on your actual situation.
Quick Navigation :
Have you ever used VLC media player? This post is going to show you some excellent VLC alternatives for Windows/Linux/Mac. You can find a suitable VLC alternative 2019 to play video and audio files.
VLC is a free, open-source, portable, and cross-platform media player and streaming media server developed by the VideoLAN project. It is able to play incomplete, unfinished or damaged video, but it will drive you crazy sometimes.
For example, here is a true story.
I have been using VLC media player for a while and was pleased with it. Then I get a notice about an update, which I did. Now all I get is green lines over the movie. I have tried everything to solve the problem, installing the backup, uninstall and install, with no success. Everything worked great until this update. Does anybody have a solution to this? It is driving me crazy. Please help. Thank you.
In general, a VLC alternative can solve this problem easily. The below are some common problems you might encounter when using the VLC media player.
4 Reasons Why You Need a VLC Alternative
1. VLC is unable to play broken files.
Generally, VLC media player can play unfinished or damaged video. But, sometimes, it cannot play video file and tells you that the file is damaged. Actually, this file is just being downloaded.
2. VLC doesn’t support a few codes and file types.
VLC supports a lot of video and audio codes and formats, but it requires codec settings for a few formats. For many common people, it is a difficult job.
3. VLC crashes without warning.
Sometimes, VLC media player suddenly crashes when you watch some normal files, try to insert subtitle or make it full screen.
4. VLC media player will damage the speakers!
If you are using VLC media player and keep the volume loud for a long time, your speakers could be damaged. Sadly, some manufacturers like Dell say replacing the speakers will not be covered by the hardware warranty. Therefore, please keep the volume down while using VLC.
Now, it is time to look for VLC alternatives to play your video or audio files. No matter you have come across these problems or not, it is a good idea to prepare a suitable alternative to VLC.
You will find many people are searching for VLC alternatives on the Internet. Here, we list different alternatives to VLC media player for Windows/Mac/Linux. Read on and find out which one suits you best.
Part 1. VLC Alternatives 2019 for Windows
VLC is a free video editing software, you might need to look for a VLC alternative because of the unfriendly UI, “Rebuilding Font Cache” thing and other problems. Now, try the following alternatives to VLC media player for Windows.
No 1. Windows Movie Maker
There is no doubt that many people have probably heard of Windows Movie Maker, a video editing tool developed by Microsoft. It not only allows you to watch video, but also lets you edit this video simply, for instance, add text to video.
Related article: How to Add Text to Video in Windows Movie Maker (Step-by-Step Guide).
Now, some users might want to know where to get this tool since it was officially discontinued on January 10, 2017. Fortunately, you can get this Microsoft video editing tool by clicking the following button.
- It supports playing videos as well as pictures.
- It can edit your videos simply.
- It is able to share your videos on YouTube, Facebook, etc.
Related article: How to Use Movie Maker Step-by-step Guide for Beginners.
- Microsoft does not support it now.
- It cannot play music alone.
No 2. 5KPlayer
5KPlayer is a mixture of free (MKV) HD video player and music player. This real media player is compatible with Windows as well as Mac OS X. If your VLC crashes suddenly, you can try this alternative.
- It supports a lot of video formats, including MKV, M2TS, MPEG1/2, WMV/ASF, AVI, MOV, RM, OGV, FLV, MP4, H.264, M4V, WEBM.
- It can play 4K UHD videos without any glitches.
- It is able to play 1080p or 1080i high-definition videos under 10% CPU cost.
- It can play MP3 AAC APE FLAC music perfectly to activate your senses.
- It can download online videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, etc.
This alternative to VLC media player for Windows might be confusing for beginners.
No 3. Windows Media Player
Windows media player is another VLC alternative. It allows you to play video and audio files. Besides, it allows previewing images on personal computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system, as well as on Pocket PC and Windows Mobile-based devices.
- It provides a less cluttered user interface.
- It offers a better music library.
- It supports network sharing.
- It can access to online music services.
- It cannot handle 4K, 3D and 360-degree video.
- It doesn’t support for VR headsets.
No 4. Photos App
If you are running Windows 10, you have another great VLC alternative 2019 – Photo app. This Windows 10 hidden media player not only can play video but also can play images. Besides, it can help to trim video.
Related Article: How to Cut Video Easily and Quickly (The Definitive Guide).
- It can play videos quickly.
- It has a simple, touch-friendly interface.
- It also supports browsing photo, and is able to create albums automatically.
- It has cool video editing effects.
- It cannot tag faces.
- It doesn’t support panorama stitching and selective focus.
No 5. KMPlayer
KM player can play video as well as audio in Windows. This alternative to VLC supports almost any format that Windows can play including AVI, ASF, WMV, AVS, FLV, MKV, and many more. With the VLC alternative, you can slow down or increase playback speed, select parts of a video as favorites.
- It supports many audio and video formats.
- It supports 3D and VR and setting related to that.
- It has extensive subtitle management.
- It can capture audio and video.
Advertisement (There are no hidden or misleading clauses while installing, but we will be asked whether we want to install Avast Antivirus after installing.)
After learning these different VLC alternatives for Windows, you can take a look of the below wonderful video tool.
No 6. MiniTool Movie Maker
MiniTool Movie Maker, free and simple video tool, lets you review videos, and pictures. Besides, it also lets you create videos and slideshow easily and quickly. For instance, I usually use this simple and free tool to create Facebook Slideshow.
- It supports a lot of video format including WMV, MP4, AVI, MOV, F4V, MKV, GIF, MP3, and so on.
- It offers wizard-like interfaces. This tool can help you create a movie without requiring professional knowledge and skill.
- It offers movie as well as trailer templates. You are able to easily create cool movies or Hollywood-style movie trailers.
- It allows you to make video with pictures easily and quickly.
- It offers some filters to help you change the color, style, or tone in minutes.
- It offers plenty of useful transition effects to make the presentation, slideshow or movie good looking and impressive.
- It not only can split large video into small parts but also can trim video to remove the unwanted frames from the start or end of a clip. More details can be found in How to Trim Video Easily (Step-by-Step Guide with Pictures).
It only supports Windows OSs, now.
Part 2. VLC Alternative Mac
Mac users can try the following alternatives when the VLC media player isn’t working.
No 1. QuickTime Player
QuickTime player, the best VLC alternative Mac, is the most familiar media players for Mac users. As the default movie player as Mac, QuickTime player is capable of supporting various formats of videos, music, images, and other media files.
- QuickTime player enables you to set playback from 1/2x to 3x the normal speed.
- This alternative to VLC is capable of watching videos from hard drive and internet.
- This VLC alternative Mac allows you to screen recording your Mac, edit movies and extract audio from a video. However, you need to purchase the QuickTime Pro license key to unlock the recording, editing and extracting features.
No 2. MPlayerX Media Player
MPlayerX, a free and open source media player, is another VLC alternative.
- It can handle any media format in the world without extra plug-ins or codec packages as it is armed by FFmpeg and MPlayer.
- It provides you the easiest way to control the playback as it will follow your gestures.
- It can automatically and seamlessly detect and convert the encoding method of the subtitle file.
No 3. Movist
Movist, a free, simple yet powerful player for Mac, supports QuickTime, FFmpeg as well as subtitles.
- It is easy to use.
- It owns a beautiful and convenient user interface.
- It is available to adjust aspect ratios and configure keyboard shortcuts.
Unfortunately, this VLC alternative Mac doesn't support Apple remote.
Part 3. VLC Alternative Linux
Let’s start with a true example from my best friend.
I've used VLC in Linux for years. But lately, it's been choking and dying for no discernible reasons and attempts to troubleshoot have failed. Are there any other comparable alternatives for media players out there at the moment?
Now, my friend can try the following VLC alternative Linux.
No 1. Bomi Player
The best VLC alternative Linux, Bomi player (known as CM Player), works well on Linux and provides GUI features.
- This easy-to-use VLC alternative Linux provides some powerful features which you will find in the context menu.
- It supports audio file and subtitle at all.
- It allows browsing your old playlist because it generally saves all your playback record.
No 2. SMPlayer
SMPlayer supports for all the default formats as like as other media players.
Vlc Media Player For Mac Os Sierra
- This VLC alternative Linux allows you to play YouTube video directly from this player because of its built-in codec.
- This VLC alternative 2019 loads the subtitle of a movie from the internet. And, it saves your all settings when you play video.
- This alternative to VLC is fully resume supported video player.
Vlc Os X
The above video editing tools are good alternatives to VLC media player. You can choose a suitable one to play your videos.
Which VLC alternatives do you like to choose? Let us know by leaving comments.
Should you have any other good suggestions about VLC alternatives, please share them with us. Thanks in advance!
VLC Alternatives FAQ
- Media Player Classic – Home Cinema
- ACG Player
- GOM Media Player
- DivX Player
- VLC Player
- Media Player Classic – Home Cinema
by Christine Smith • 2020-10-28 17:37:39 • Proven solutions
Playing video and audio files for entertainment is like the most basic thing users will do on a computer. The most popular audio/video player for Mac is VLC Media Player. The VLC player for Macbook has stayed on top of the list for a long time. However, we also have many alternatives for it as more and more software has developed with more abundant functions than VLC. The Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is a complete video and audio conversion solution which allows you to manipulate the media files according to your requirements. This article will introduce this tool and discuss how to download, install VLC, and make it as your default player on Mac.
Part 1. What is VLC Media Player
The VLC media player, commonly known as VLC, is a free and open-source player developed by VideoLAN. It is available for all the platforms, whether it is Computer or Mobile phones. VLC supports so many audio and video file formats and compression methods, which include DVD-Video, video CD, and multiple streaming protocols. It is compatible with all the formats supported by libav codec and libav format. To take advantage of this player, you can download VLC for Mac easily.
Part 2. How to Download and Install VLC on Mac OS X
The VLC media player is available for multiple platforms and is a very popular choice for Apple users. The software is also free for Mac OS X, and a list of versions are available for download on the official website. The complete guide on installing VLC on Mac OS X is given below along with the download process.
Step 1. Go to the official website of VideoLAN and download the dmg package from the download links available for Mac OS X.
Step 2. Once the package is downloaded, locate the file and execute it. The file will open after verifying the contents of the file.
Step 3. Please select the file and drag it to the Application folder. This will copy the file into the application folder.
Step 4. Now double-click on the file and allow all the permissions required by the VLC. Once the setup is complete, VLC will launch for the first time on your Mac.
Part 3. How to Make VLC as Default Player on Mac
Instead of going through the hassle of choosing the VLC player every time you try to open a video, it is better than making the VLC media player your default media player.
Steps on how to make VLC as the default player on Mac:
Step 1. Select any file that you want to open and right-click on it. When you click, certain options will appear, and you can select the Get Info option.
Step 2. Now, in the Open With section, choose the VLC from the drop-down menu.
Step 3. Then, make sure that you click on Change All option to apply the setting to all the files present on the Mac. And the VLC on your Mac would be the default player now.
Part 4. The Best VLC Alternative Mac to Play Video and Audio Files
If you are looking for the VLC alternative for Mac, then your search ends at Wondershare UniConverter. It is a complete toolbox that allows the users to convert, download, edit, burn video, and audio in more than 1000 formats. It is a tool that gives you the fastest speed of conversion with so many additional features that you will forget there is some other software available on the internet.
Wondershare UniConverter - Your Complete Video Toolbox
- Best VLC Alternative to convert any video/audio in any format, like AVI/MKV/MOV/MP4/MP3/WAV/M4A, etc.
- Convert video to optimized preset for almost all of the devices.
- Compress videos by cropping and trimming.
- Burn video to playable DVD with attractive free DVD templates.
- Download or record videos by pasting URLs from Internet video sites.
- Versatile toolbox includes fixing video metadata, GIF maker, Video Compressor, and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista.
Main functions of the Wondershare UniConverter:
Video/Audio Converter: VLC Alternative to convert video and audio in any format
This is the most attractive function of the Wondershare UniConverter. It can convert any format of video to some other. The list supported by this software is unlimited, e.g. MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, MPEG-2, MOV, 3GP, HEVC, and many others. The Wondershare UniConverter gives a wide array of conversion processes. It allows the user to convert videos for Social networks, iPhone, iPad, Android devices, and others. It also supports the conversion of DVDs, videos from camcorder, and especially videos to audio. With this software's help, you can also combine multiple videos by merging them and compressing them. The software is very easy to learn, and once you get familiar with the interface and process, you will be able to efficiently operate the software.
Video Editor: Edit video and audio with built-in tools before conversion
The software enables users to edit videos with ease. Editing is the process that allows the users to give a whole new look to the videos by applying multiple effects and filters. With Wondershare UniConverter, the users are free to experiment with their videos by choosing a variety of effects and filters. It allows the users to trim videos, crop videos, apply an effect, add watermark, and add subtitles to the videos. The software ensures that the users get an amazing video editing experience.
Vlc Pour Mac Os Sierra
Files Download: Download video and audio files by pasting URLs
It usually happens that we wish to download videos that are present on different websites. The Wondershare UniConverter signifies its name and supports almost 10000 websites from which you can easily copy URL and download the video with the best quality. Not only can you download the videos, but also you can edit them right after download. Even if you want to download a whole playlist or convert a video to MP3 and then download it, the software can do it all. The software also provides some download process settings that can ensure that every video you download is of high quality. It has a download task scheduler and also provides priority settings for downloads.
Vlc Per Mac Os Sierra
DVD Burning: Burn videos to DVD and Blu-ray Discs Easily
Vlc Player Download Mac
A burn is a term used for the process of writing content to a CD/DVD or any other disc. Usually, the burning of the Videos is done to get them on some external space. The Wondershare UniConverter also provides a burning function for videos. The software makes it possible for the users to burn videos or other supported files to DVD, Blu-ray disc, or to ISO file. Whether you want to burn videos to DVD, Convert DVD to ISO, or Burn ISO to DVD, the software supports them all.
Toolbox: More additional functions related to media
Vlc Media Player For Mac
It can help you to fix media metadata automatically and edit it with customization. You can also convert your videos to VR and enjoy on your VR devices. What's more, it has 2 assistant tools named Screen Recorder and GIF Maker.