- Free Video Players For Mac
- Video Player For Mac Os 10.6.8
- Video Player For Mac Os Mojave
- Media Player Mac Os X
While Windows 10 has added native support for MKV, many users complain that they cannot play MKV videos on Windows 10. In fact, everyone needs a great media player. Whether you are looking for the simplest of programs to get the task done with a minimum of fuss or you need a tool that gives you complete control over each aspect of image and audio playback, there are plentiful options that will deliver what you want.
Of course, you are not limited to using only one video player, but with so many programs to choose from, discovering the best MKV file player can be tricky. That is why we are testing the popular video players available to MKV files. This article will show you the top list and you can find the right one for you quickly.
Part 1: Best cross-platform MKV player: AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player
AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player is a versatile media player with extensive features, such as:
- Elmedia Player is the best free Mac video player because its playback capabilities are beyond competition. It easily reproduces all popular as well as less common media formats, such as FLV, SWF, WMV, AVI, MOV, MP4, MP3, DAT, FLAC, M4V, MPG, MKV, Blu-ray unencrypted discs and many others.
- VideoLAN, VLC, VLC media player and x264 are trademarks internationally registered by the VideoLAN non-profit organization. VideoLAN software is licensed under various open-source licenses: use and distribution are defined by each software license. Design by Made By Argon. Some icons are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0+.
VMware Fusion: Powerfully Simple Virtual Machines for Mac. VMware Fusion Pro and VMware Fusion Player Desktop Hypervisors give Mac users the power to run Windows on Mac along with hundreds of other operating systems, containers or Kubernetes clusters, side by side with Mac applications, without rebooting. Fusion products are simple enough for home users and powerful enough for IT. VLC Media Player For Mac. VLC Media Player For Mac can also look for recording covers. A playlist function permits multiple shows to play one after the other. That is particularly of use when you have saved a video in many elements or only want to watch a few shorter videos. VLC Press Participant isn’t only an app. It is a life-saver. Mac users interested in Vlc player for mac 10.5.8 generally download: VLC media player 3.0 Free VLC media player is one of the most popular video players on the market.
1. Play any video files, including MKV, MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, MTS, etc.
2. Read multimedia contents on DVDs, DVD folders, ISO or IFO image files.
3. Let you watch Blu-ray discs, Blu-ray folders and ISO image files with the original quality.
4. Offer excellent quality and smoothness playback when playing 4K and 1080p videos.
5. Provide a wide range of custom options to adjust bit rate, frame rate and other parameters.
Apparently, it is the best MKV video player for enjoying MKV files on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP and Mac OS X.
How to play MKV files without losing quality
Step 1: Import an MKV video into the best MKV player
This MKV player offers two versions, one for Mac OS X and the other for Windows. Download and install the right version to your computer and launch it when you want to watch MKV. Click the Open File button to trigger the open file dialog. Then navigate to the MKV file and open it in the media player.
Step 2: Play MKV on computer
After importing, you will see the menu interface. Then you are allowed to select the desired audio track and subtitle based on your need. Click the Play Movie icon to start enjoying the MKV video.
Note: There are custom options in the Audio and Video menus on the top ribbon, which you can used to adjust the quality and other parameters. Moreover, the Control menu allows you to control the playback, such as adjust the playback speed.
Part 2: Top 7 MKV players for Windows
Top 1: SMPlayer
1. This best MKV player for Windows 10 almost supports all video formats, including MKV, AVI, WMV, M4V, MOV, DAT, MTS, M2TS, DAV, MXF, M3U8, etc.
2. It will remember most of the settings and play video files based on your settings.
3. It can detect the subtitles in your videos and let you to decide which subtitle.
4. You are allowed to completely control the playback of your video file, such as speed, audio track and more.
5. It has the capacity to search subtitles online automatically.
1. It will download extra software when installing, although it is free to download.
Free Video Players For Mac
2. SMPlayer is not compatible with Windows 7 and earlier.
Top 2: Media Player Classic
1. This MKV media player is capable of VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs without extra software or codecs.
2. The built-in codecs support for subtitles and codecs for LPCM, MP2, 3GP, and more.
3. It is based on the DirectShow architecture and integrates DirectShow decoding filters.
4. If you install a supported TV tuner, you can use the media player to record and play TV programs.
1. It cannot remember your settings, for example, it will play a video from the beginning if you hit stop and start it again.
2. Sometimes, the free MKV player will mute audio by default.
3. This player is only compatible with Windows. (Check here to get more DVD players for Mac.)
Top 3: JetVideo
1. The MKV player for Windows can play almost any video and audio formats like MP4, MOV, WMV, MKV, AVI, MP3, FLAC, AIFF, etc.
2. It permits you to edit tags easily without extra software.
3. The alarm and timer feature is able to set the starting and end points freely.
4. You can control audio volume, video speed and sound effects.
5. The interface is nice-looking and the playback is smooth.
1. Some features take time to learn how to use and beginners might feel frustrated.
2. It is not available to the latest operating systems, like Windows 10/8.
Top 4: MediaMonkey Free
1. The free MKV player supports a variety of multimedia formats, like MKV.
2. It packs a tag editor to adjust video tags automatically.
3. MediaMonkey is not only a media player but also a library organizer.
4. You can sync multimedia contents between your computer and mobile device within the program.
5. It provides an array of video managing and playback tools for free.
1. The interface is messy and difficult to learn, especially for beginners.
2. The free version lacks some features and you have to purchase the Gold version if you want to advanced tools.
Top 5: uView
1. This MKV media player allows you to play MKV videos from local folders.
2. You can play MKV files with the program while working or playing games.
3. It can be set to stay always on top and lock the window size and position.
4. You are allowed to acquire general data, such as video URL.
5. It is able to stream videos from websites and services, like YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix, and more.
1. It requires you to install Adobe Flash Player on your computer.
2. It is only available to Windows operating systems.
Top 6: FreeSmith Video Player
1. It is a free MKV player that deals well with various media formats and optical discs.
2. The player supports almost any video and audio formats without extra codecs.
3. You can change the videos, like crop, rotate, change the volume, or adjust speed.
4. The full version also allows you to make screenshots, select subtitles and create playlist.
5. The interface is nice.
1. It takes a while to load media files.
2. When playing MKV and other HD videos, it is a bit laggy.
3. There is no full screen control.
Top 7: DAPlayer
1. The best MKV player not only supports standard file formats, but also 1080i/1080p HD videos.
2. It could play region protected DVDs and change your DVD drive from one region to another.
3. The interface is stylish and quite intuitive.
4. It can import video files from the browser, tree view or by dragging and dropping.
5. You can adjust video aspect ratio, image flip, angle or deinterlacing.
1. It is not compatible with Windows 10 or Mac OS X.
2. It cannot play videos on Blu-ray discs.
Top 7 MKV players for Mac
Top 1: VLC Media Player
1. The MKV player for Mac is open source and free of charge without ads or virus.
2. It is able to optimize video and audio playback for chosen device.
3. It can convert MKV to other formats and let you enjoy on any devices.
4. This media player also supports streaming and recording online videos.
5. As a versatile media player, it also have the capacities to convert videos and rip DVDs.
1. Though VLC has a lot of functionalities, they are hidden in the menus and difficult to find out.
2. It takes longer time to convert DVDs to MKV.
Top 2: DivX Player
1. This MKV video player on Mac lets you watch movies up to 4K.
2. It supports a large number of video formats, like AVI, DIVX, MKV and MP4.
3. You can decide to play videos from the beginning or view certain chapters.
4. It is able to switch between soundtracks and subtitles seamlessly.
5. If you have oceans of videos, you can create playlists and watch videos without interruption.
1. When playing online MKV videos, it needs a web browser.
2. The player sometimes freezes due to unknown reasons.
Top 3: KMPlayer
1. The MKV player for Mac offers quick playback and fully customizable interface.
2. When playing videos, the system time will be displayed for changing into elapsed or total playback time.
3. It lets you view information regarding the file and filters.
4. You can set audio streams, repeat and shuffle options based on your needs.
5. The built-in help menu is useful to average people and beginners.
1. It will download extra software, like Opencandy, when you install.
2. If you get it from website, chances are that it packs virus or malware.
Top 4: 5KPlayer for Mac
1. The MKV video player for Mac is able to play MKV and other video files up to 5K/4K/1080p.
2. It allows you to download online videos from YouTube, DailyMotion, etc.
3. In addition to MKV, it also supports FLV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, and more.
4. If you use it on Nvidia or Intel, it will smooth the playback with hardware acceleration technology.
5. You can stream music and videos from iPad, iPhone and iPod to computer within the player directly.
1. It lacks some important features as an MKV player, such as no subtitle options.
2. It is not very configurable.
Top 5: Elmedia Player
1. The MKV player for Mac can play HD movies in MKV format smoothly.
2. Besides MKV, it is compatible with almost all commonly used video formats.
3. You can watch online videos within the program through URL or download them to hard disks.
4. It has the capacity to extract audio files from MKV or other videos.
5. If you have an iOS device, it could help you to stream videos via AirPlay.
1. Some advanced features are only available in the pro version.
2. You cannot convert MKV videos to other formats within the media player.
Top 6: MplayerX
1. The MKV video player fits in Mac OS X environment perfectly with the hotkeys and design.
2. It will remember the interrupted spot and start file reproduction from here.
3. The player will detect your video library and play next video file automatically.
4. You can control the playback with an Apple remote and mouse.
5. It allows you to stream videos to smart TV or home center and enjoy them on larger screen.
1. It is only available to Mac OS X.
2. The media player cannot create playlist.
Top 7: Kodi
1. It is not only an MKV player, but also a media library for videos, audio, movies and images.
2. The interface is user friendly and customizable with oceans of add-ons.
3. The open source feature allows you to build you won favorite add-ons.
4. The video player's sound quality is pretty good.
1. The installation and configuration are pretty complex.
2. Some add-ons are not free though the player is free to use.
Seeking for media players for Android? Here is the list.
Based on our reviews, you should grasp at least 15 best MKV players. Now, you can pick your favorite one and start enjoying your HD movies.
Devices and Mac OS X version
VLC media player requires Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later. It runs on any 64bit Intel-based Mac. Previous devices are supported by older releases.
Note that the first generation of Intel-based Macs equipped with Core Solo or Core Duo processors is no longer supported. Please use version 2.0.10 linked below.
Web browser plugin for Mac OS X
Support for NPAPI plugins was removed from all modern web browsers, so VLC's plugin is no longer maintained. The last version is 3.0.4 and can be found here. It will not receive any further updates.
Older versions of Mac OS X and VLC media player
We provide older releases for users who wish to deploy our software on legacy releases of Mac OS X. You can find recommendations for the respective operating system version below. Note that support ended for all releases listed below and hence they won't receive any further updates.
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Video Player For Mac Os 10.6.8
Use VLC 2.2.8. Get it here.
Video Player For Mac Os Mojave
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Media Player Mac Os X
Use VLC 2.0.10. Get it for PowerPC or 32bit Intel.
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later is required
Use VLC 0.9.10. Get it for PowerPC or Intel.
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
QuickTime 6.5.2 or later is required
Use VLC 0.8.6i. Get it for PowerPC.
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Use VLC 0.8.4a. Get it for PowerPC.
Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah and 10.1 Puma
Use VLC 0.7.0. Get it for PowerPC.