2020-09-09 17:55:21 • Filed to: Knowledge of PDF • Proven solutions
DWG is the language that your PC will understand and interpret when you want to store drawings and three dimensional images. The presentation of word or excel and DWG is all different. However because of the complexity of three dimensional data and drawings, it is quite easy to understand how one would not use the same tool to convert a PDF file into excel, to convert the same data as a DWG file. If you want to convert PDF to DWG, you can follow the steps below.
- How to convert or import a PDF file to a DWG file using AutoCAD. Prior to AutoCAD 2017, it was not possible to convert a PDF file to a DWG file using AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT. PDF files could only be inserted as underlays (external references). The content could then be traced and scaled to known dimensions, if desired. With the release of AutoCAD 2017, using the PDFIMPORT command, it is now.
- AutoCAD is a popular Windows program. Many consumers and Mac users don't use drawing programs to read DWG files. Utility programs such as eDrawings Viewer allow consumers to review DWG files, and if a virtual PDF printer is installed on the computer, a PDF can be generated for easier access, such as sharing the redecorating or construction plans.
- Outputs AutoCAD R13 - R2020 DWG/DXF files. Supports all versions of PDF file. Handles single page and multiple page files with ease. Converts the whole PDF document, a range of pages or one page into separate DWG/DXF files. Generates and optimizes vector entities. Intelligent TrueType texts and line width recognition. Retains colors in the DWG.
With the included free PDF2DWG, iCADMac help you convert your PDF files to usable and editable DWG files quickly and easily. Generates and optimizes vector entities like lines, polylines, splines, hatches, circles, arcs and text strings. Retains colors in the DWG/DXF file.Intelligent TrueType texts and line width recognition.
- # 1: Best Way to Convert PDF into DWG File
- # 2: Best Free PDF Editor
How to Convert PDF into DWG File
Generally if you want to perform PDF to DWG conversion, all you need to do is find a good PDF to DWG convert tool that will give you the results you desire. The conversion steps are basically similar across different platforms with few minor variations. For instance: file size, output versions, output location among a few others.
The following are steps to follow when converting PDF files into PDF format. For the purposes of clarity on this article from PDF to DWG Online has been used as a point of reference.
- Open the conversion site in your browser and click 'Choose File' to upload your PDF.
- You will be presented with the choice of output version you want to convert your file into. For instance; AutoCAD14, AutoCAD 2000/2002, AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006 among others. Select the one that will most satisfy your needs.
- Provide your email address (where your DWG file will be sent to). This choice however may vary from site to site depending on the site you are using.
- Confirm the visual code provided (if one is provided). Click on 'Send'. This marks the conversion process and once it is done you will find your new DWG file in the location you provided.
Remember: a new file does not mean your old file has been discarded. It only means you have a new file in a different format. You can always come back and work on your old PDF file and work on it as you wish. Secondly, DWG files enable you to make changes on drawings and other files with precision and with little trouble.
Convert Dwg To Pdf For Mac
Popular PDF Editor for Windows and Mac
PDFelement is one of the best PDF editors in the market. With a very large variety of features to edit your files into any format you wish within the shortest time, with little effort and at the best price in the market. The main features of PDFelement include and are not limited to:
- Create & Convert: PDFelement offers you an array of conversion choices to choose from, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, HTML, images, EPUB among many other formats. The reverse is possible to. You can convert files in those formats into PDF format.
- Edit: You can manipulate text, images and pages in your PDF file into whatever state you want.
- OCR: The OCR feature enables you to convert scanned PDF files into editable formats. Scanned documents are no longer an issue for you because you can edit them as and when you need to.
- Sign: You are at liberty to put your own electronica or digital signatures on your PDF files whenever you wish and with little effort.
Free Download or Buy PDFelement right now!
Free Download or Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
The PDF file format is an industry-standard in most modern offices and studios and this is especially true for professionals in the manufacturing, design, and construction industries. The same goes for the DWG format which is widely used on a global scale. We’ve discussed in many previous articles how easy it is to convert PDF to DWG using our software Scan2CAD, but it’s historically always been a bit more complicated for macOS users to navigate the ins and outs of CAD software compared to their PC counterparts. Fortunately, Scan2CAD not only has a fully-functioning PC version; the software is also usable on macOS.
For Mac users, converting their PDF to DWG gives them the freedom to edit their designs in any standard CAD and modeling program, including AutoCAD. We’ll be taking a look exactly how to use Scan2CAD to convert your files with step-by-step instructions.
What is a PDF file?
Adobe’s PDF file format Source
The Portable Document Format, or PDF as most of us know it, is a widely-used file format around the globe. It is convenient for its cross-platform accessibility, its compactness, and its no-fuss digital documentation. PDF can store both vector and raster elements, making it ideal for CAD users and designers. The format can be opened by Adobe Reader – which already comes pre-installed in Macs – or even just any of the standard web browsers.
Small file sizes, read-only functionality, and password protection make PDFs ideal for sending design updates to clients or collaborators. Users can also add comments and highlights within the PDF format, which is even better for quick and easy back-and-forths between all parties involved in the project.
Dwg To Pdf For Mac Free Download
What is a DWG file?
The DWG file format is the main file format of AutoCAD, the design and construction industry’s most popular CAD software. The use of DWG is prolific in fact that any and all modern CAD software can open it and edit it in some capacity. The format was created back in 1982 and was a proprietary file format owned by Autodesk.
DWG supports all standard vector entities including AutoCAD specific elements such as dynamic blocks. And due to its binary makeup, the DWG file format is more often than not smaller than other CAD formats like DXF.
How does the conversion process work?
We’ve mentioned how the PDF’s read-only format is useful for sharing documents, but it starts to become a bit of a problem when designers and drafters need to use PDFs as references for new DWG files they have to create. This gets even more complicated what PDF files have raster elements which, by their very nature, are difficult to edit and reproduce.
Luckily, Scan2CAD is readily able to convert both raster and vector PDF elements into the DWG format, readily workable with most CAD software available on Macs. Alternatively, users can also go about converting PDFs manually by tracing over them. Let’s go into detail on the pros and cons of both processes:
Manually tracing over a PDF involves a lot of time and effort. Simply, this process is just tracing over every line and vector element in the PDF to recreate the drawing elements in the document.
Although quite tedious, it has the added benefit of the meticulous attention of human drafters. Just like how Captcha’s are meant to confuse bots and serves as a filter to determine if the user is human, automatic tracing software will have a hard time deciphering faded lines, hand-written text, and drawing elements that overlap each other. When it comes to accuracy and understanding, nothing beats good, old-fashioned human work.
Do note that for most drawings, this is a long, tedious process and can get tiring really quick especially with more complex PDFs or if there are batches of drawings that need to be converted. So only consider manual tracing when time and energy are both on your side.
Automatic tracing of PDFs includes the use of raster-to-vector conversion software such as Scan2CAD. The software detects the lines and edges of raster pixels and converts them into corresponding vector lines, beziers, arcs, and circles. For PDF files that are already vector, conversion software will let users save these PDF files as workable DWG files, ready to be used on any of the standard macOS CAD software.
The process is quick and accurate. The more advanced conversion programs, Scan2CAD included, also have OCR functionality, meaning they can identify any raster text in the PDFs and convert them into editable TrueType text.
Automatic tracing programs will sometimes have a harder time converting PDFs if the quality of the raster elements is too low or too blurry or if the document was hand-made. In these cases, it’s a simple matter of converting the PDF, flaws and all, and editing the output in your preferred CAD software.
Pdf To Dwg Converter Free Download For Mac
For most cases, even when the conversion isn’t perfect, automatic tracing will take much less time to do than manual. So this method is perfect for users who are running to meet a deadline or those that simply don’t have the patience for manual tracing.
How to convert PDF to DWG with Scan2CAD
The Scan2CAD interface
For PDF files that already have vector information in them, it’s all a matter of opening up the file on Scan2CAD and then saving the vector information as a DWG file.
If you’re working with raster information in the PDF, however, there are a few extra steps:
- Take the PDF file that you want to convert into DWG and load it up on Scan2CAD.
- With raster images that are a bit less clean than we want for conversion, a crucial step in the process is the cleanup. Click on the ‘Clean image’ button at the top-left corner of the screen and play with the settings until you have a preview image that you’re happy with. Be sure to turn the image monochromatic if it isn’t already and make sure to get rid of any unwanted marks to avoid any unnecessary conversion clutter.
- After the cleanup is the actual conversion process. We have a bunch of tutorials on how to tweak the settings of the conversion to get exactly what you want as an output, but in general, the default settings are already a pretty good estimate. If you’re looking to work with the PDf on CAD, you’ll most likely want to go for the ‘Technical’ Vectorization Method and ticking ‘Vectorize and OCR’ to convert the text elements in the image as well.
- Click on ‘Run’ to see a preview of the conversion. If you’re happy with what you see, click on ‘OK’ to execute the conversion process.
- Once you’re satisfied with the results, just save the newly converted vector file as a DWG file and you’re done.
Unlike most ‘free’ online conversion services, Scan2CAD promises quick, efficient file conversions without the need to run the risk of emailing your private proprietary drawings to unknown third-parties. Scan2CAD is at the front of the pack when it comes to conversion technology and has no problem converting most technical drawings such as architectural schematics, engineering diagrams, and site plans.
The software comes with basic raster and vector editing tools, so you can fine-tune the output of the conversion process if you wish. The program’s state-of-the-art OCR functionality can also seamlessly convert any raster text into editable TrueType, saving you the hassle of re-typing the text in your raster PDF documents.
Pdf To Dwg For Mac
Scan2CAD supports a wide array of file formats and can output vector files in the industry-standard DWG, DXF, and G-Code formats. Scan2CAD also offers 24/7 customer support and flexible licensing and subscription packages.
Dwg File Mac
If you’re still unsure about the software, we offer a 14-day free trial version that has all the features of the Pro version of Scan2CAD. Try it out today.